Saturday 27 December 2014

1914-12-26eec


“James Marshall, of Marshall’s lime works on the mountain, a short distance back from the brow, has received an interesting letter from Arthur Hughes.”

Hamilton Herald. December 26, 1914.

Hughes had formerly worked at the lime kiln but was currently Private Arthur Hughes, a reservist serving with A Company, King’s Own Light infantry :

Pte. Hughes resided in Hamilton in the early part of this year and was employed by Mr. Marshall. He went readily to war, feeling that it was his duty. Since he left, a son was born”1

1 “Hamilton Man Writes From Front : Hughes Tells of Desperate Nature of Fighting Against Germans : He Was Slightly Wounded But Saw Comrades Fall All Around Him”

Hamilton Herald. December 26, 1914.

Hughes’ letter to his former employer was reproduced in full in the Herald of Boxing day 1914. The names of the places mentioned by the private had been deleted by the military censors :

“Dear Mr. Marshall – I thought a line might interest you, although I can give you very little information about the war, as I know little about the general situation, and very few really do, although all kinds of wild rumors are current about it being over by Christmas. I wish I could think so. In my opinion, it will last at least another six months.

“The last week has been the easiest and least risky I have experienced since land. The fighting has been of such a nature as to give everyone reasonable hope of pulling through the wretched business.

“We have been resting for two whole days and nights in comparative safety – the nearest shell that has dropped must have been 3200 yards  off, and that was a stray one.

“The firing line is four miles off, and we are now working the trenches in two or three day reliefs – quite enough in this cold weather.

“Our company went in last night, but I was not allowed to go as my left hand was slightly injured with a piece of shell at Ypres. A little piece also struck my left eye, but, thank God, the sight is still there, and beyond being stunned for a time, I am none the worst. Another poor fellow a yard or two farther off, where it burst, was killed.

“The enemy in this position appear to be relaxing their efforts. I trust they will continue to do so; I, for one, am heartily sick of the war.

“Every few days we get 100 or 200 men out from England to make up our losses, but we still only number one-third what we should, and nearly all.

“Things have happened so quickly in such a short time that it sometimes puzzles me to think. Practically all my old friends in the regiment are dead or wounded, and now I have time it makes me think.

“The weather is cold and wet, and although we lose many horses from exposure, we men seem to struggle through somehow; I suppose the excitement keeps us warm.

“The queen has made us a present of a fur coat each, and I wish I could send mine home, as we have another one; besides, when the fur gets mixed up with the mud in the trenches, it is not either warm or dry, and I expect within a week we will have discarded a memento we would have been glad to keep.

“I think I am getting a little run down, as my nerves don’t seem quite as steady as the first day I went into the trenches, but I intend going as long as there is a kick left, as someone has to do the work.

“The Indian troops relieved us at (name deleted) where we attacked 658 strong, and retired the next day when the general ordered us to do so, with 151 men and one officer. I was one who escaped with nothing worse than two broken rifles – the third I had that day belonged to a dead comrade.

“Then there was (words deleted) and now (words deleted) again in much subdued form. I think before long we will cut them off here and make a big capture.

“The details and incidents are too numerous and tiring to write about; I will tell them when I return, as please God, I may.

“I would like to hear from you, Mr. Marshall, if you can spare the time, but I know you have your hands full. The address on the first page will find me.

“I have given you more accurate news about the war than I gave my wife, so you need not give her some of these details – she is lonely enough without worrying over my safety.

“Please remember me to everyone.

“Very sincerely yours,

“Arthur Hughes.” 1

Private Hughes’ letter brought the realities of the war in Europe to Hamilton. The enthusiasm for the war that swept over the city in August was being replaced with a sadness and dread that it would go on and on.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment