Monday 4 April 2016

1915-01-23aa


“Without a trace of nervousness, and in a most convincing manner, Raefiario Ruffino, charged with the death of Gaefeno Melini, took the stand on his own behalf last evening and for the space of two hours told the jury his story of the circumstances leading up to the shooting of Melini.”

Hamilton Spectator.      January 23, 1915.

It had only been 34 days since the fatal shooting had occurred. On Sunday evening, December 20, 1914, Raefiario Ruffino, (the prisoner was called Ruffino in the Spectator, and Russini in the Times)  by his own admission, had killed Gaefeno Melini. However, Ruffino had an explanation for his actions.

On the third day of his trial on a charge of murder, Ruffino was the key witness as his took the stand in his own defense:

“Ruffino spoke excellent English, and Mr. McBryane, his counsel, had occasion to ask but very few questions.

“Ruffino told a well-connected story which follows:

“ ‘I arrived in the city but four days before the murder occurred. I have been living in Palmerston, and was foreman on the Grand Trunk railway. Some five years ago, I lived in Hamilton for a period of three years. I have resided in Canada for thirteen years, and will be 29 years of age in April next.

“ ‘On the day of the murder, I was boarding at 245 Brant street. I wanted something to smoke and left the house to go to Dominico’s store. There I met George Geri, whom I knew. I went in the store and saw a number of men drinking. Geri asked me how long I have been back in the city, and I replied four days. He and I sat down and had a drink. In the room I saw John Geri, Gaiello Geri, and a man named Guillo. George Geri went out, and in a short time came back with a jar of beer. We all took a drink. Then we began to talk. I told George Geri my cousin had a contract with the Grand Trunk Railway, and that I had been working with him. I asked how things were locally, and he replied that both his brothers were out of work. He asked if there was any chance of getting work, and I told him if anything turned up I would be glad to give him a job.

“The prisoner said that by the time the beer had given out, he was informed there was no more in the house. Then the men went over to 245 Brant street and asked for something to drink. They were told there was nothing for them. The prisoner said he went in the house as he knew Joe Sdoleine and his wife, who were living there. The prisoner said he asked the wife if she had anything, and on receiving a reply in the negative, Joe suggested that they go over to a house on Burlington street, where he knew drinks could be secured. They left the house, going to the Burlington street place, where they met Gaiello Geri, George’s brother. After securing their drinks, an argument arose beteen the prisoner and Gaeillo over the war. The latter made the statement that Italy was afraid to enter into the conflict. The witness replied by saying that Italy was a small country, and although he had grown up in Canada, he would not stand to see the Italian flag insulted.

“ ‘Gaiello said I was stupid,’ continued the prisoner, ‘but I did not pay any attentionto him at the time. Gaiello persisted in making the statement that I was stupid, and in an insulting voice asked me about my Italian flag. I said that it was all right. Gaeillo replied by saying, ‘You’re a smart guy.’ I said I was as smart as he. One thing led to another and finally Gaeillo got mad and made a rush at me. I shoved him away with my hand. As the three brothers were present in the room, George, John and Gaeillo, I knew that I could not do anything. The two brothers caught me, and I told them I would not touch Gaeillo. We all went out of the house after that, and Joe and I left the brothers at the corner of Imperial and Sherman avenue. When we got back to the Brant street boarding house, Joe’s wife was mad because we had stayed away all afternoon. We had something to eat and a short while after, I went out with Joe. We met John and Gaeillo, and the latter started to abuse me. I told him he wouldn’t do that if he were alone. John started to talk also, and as he made a rush toward me, Joe hit him on the chin. Tis all occurred at 39 Imperial street, and as John and Gaeillo left the house, Gaeillo said, ‘We’ll make you pay for this.’

“Continuing the prisoner said Joe and he stayed at the house for a while, leaving there to go back to 245 Brant street, where they had their supper. This was about 7 o’clock. They had been eating but a few minutes when George Geri came in the dining room, followed by Gaeillo.

“ ‘Did you take my brothers to 39 Imperial street to kill them?’ he asked. I replied that no such thing was thought of, and offered to tell him about the whole affair. I saw that they had come to cause trouble and I went into the bedroom  and got my revolver. I heard George Geri follow me in the hall, and determined to scare them. Pointing the revolver at them, I told the brothers to get out. They left, and a little later,I went out to buy some cigarettes. I was unable to get any and went back to the house, took off my clothes and got into bed. About twenty minutes later, I saw Geri and a gang of men come to the front door. They knocked, and the boarding-house boss, Speranza, answering the door, told them he did not have a keg of beer. They could come around to the back door if they wanted he said. Believing there would be trouble, I got on my trousers and turned on the lights. I heard them ask the boss for me. By this time I had put on my overcoat, and George Geri came in and asked me to go outside. I refused. A boarder named Guillo talked with George and me for a while, after which he told me to go to bed, that everything would be all right. As I turned to go, George Geri grabbed me by the shoulder. I pulled away, as I didn’t know whether he had a weapon or not. He followed me tomy bedroom with his left hand in his pants’ pocket. I pulled my gun and told him to move his hands. He laughed at me and backed down the hall to the dining-room.

“ ‘When he got near the table in the dining-room, he went to pull his hand out of the pocket. As he did so, I saw the handle of a revolver very plainly. George Geri was only two feet away from me at the time. I could have killed him then, but I only wanted to scare him. I pulled the trigger, but did not aim at him. After that I told George and Gaeillo to get out. They backed to the door between the kitchen and the dining room, and I followed them. Just as I got to the door, I heard a bullet strike the door on my left. I stepped over to the right side, and another bullet hit the wall behind me. Then I fired twice into the kitchen, and no more shots came, so I went back to my bedroom and put on a shirt. Someone came in and said Melini was hurt. I was surprised, as I didn’t know he had been hit. Then the police came, and I told them I had done the shooting.’ ”1

1 “Ruffino Tells Story of Melini Slaying : Claims Someone Shot Before He Drew Revolver.”

Hamilton Spectator.     January 23, 1915.

As it was becoming very late in the day, the Crown Counsel only had a brief cross-examination of Russini. However, he did establish that Ruffino had been found guilty of being an inmate of a disorderly house in Toronto, that he had served a year in jail on a cutting and wounding charge after an incident in Hamilton and that he had served a month in jail in London on a charge of shooting with intent to kill.

At that point, the court was recessed, the trial to resume the following day.

 

(To be continued)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment