Wednesday 8 June 2016

1915-02-26a


By 1915, the City of Hamilton’s reputation as having persistently combative, consistently dysfunctional city councils firmly in place.

In an interview with the Hamilton Spectator, published on February 26, 1915, Alderman Garson indicated that he, in his role as chairman of the property committee, was tired of being the target of ill-treatment. Things had become so bad he was considering not running for election to Hamilton City Hall again :

“ ‘I have taken a lot of personal abuse, which, had I not been chairman of the property committee, I would not stand for,’ declared Ald. Garson this morning. “The manner in which some of the members of my committee act at meetings is very annoying, and I am tired and disgusted with it. Some of them are like babies, and when men get to that stage, it is time they dropped out of municipal life. “1

1 “He’s Disgusted”

Hamilton Spectator.    February 26, 1915

No comments:

Post a Comment