Wednesday 26 October 2016

1915-05-27uu


“To be wounded in the head by a bullet from the same shrapnel that killed Pte. James Duffy, the famous marathon runner, undergo an operation, have gold-plated rivets used in his skull, and to secure the bullet that caused all the trouble, has been the experience of Pte. C. Heath, one of the 91st Highlanders, wounded in the battle of Langemarrek.”

Hamilton Spectator. May 27, 1915.

When the news of the death of Jimmy Duffy was announced, his friends in the Hamilton sporting circles, as well as fans of marathon racing, were understandably upset. Duffy’s good friend and fellow soldier received little publicity as to what happened to him in the same incident that killed the popular runner.

On May 27, 1915, the Hamilton Spectator was able to publish the contents of a letter that Heath had written to his friends in Hamilton, telling them of the manner in which he was wounded and of the complex treatment he had received for his injuries:

“His wound was of such a peculiar nature that several English newspapers published X-ray photos of it, although prevented by the military authorities from using a photo showing the bullet as it lodged in Pte. Heath’s head.”1

1 “Pte. Heath Had Real Experience”

Hamilton Spectator.    May 27, 1915.

The letter written by Private Heath follows :

“Dear Mr. and Mrs. Pryor : Thanks very much for the letter, was very pleased to get one. You have, no doubt, heard all about us, and the scrap we took part in, nevertheless, I guess it is up to me to say a few things about it just the same.

“I do not know what became of Almond. I have not seen him since the night of the 22nd, the day the battle started. I am anxiously awaiting to see the casualty list. They are a long time getting it out, rather a bad sign. I am afraid we got an awful cutting up, and the list is sure to be big. Anyhow, wherever he may be, if he is still alive, let us hope that he is in good hands and being well cared for.

“You will see by my address that I’ve got something to go on with. It was like this : The French were retreating and the Germans advancing, and our orders were to stop both of them . We did, anyhow,  for the time. We were lined up two deep in half battalion, about fifty paces between each other.. This was about 10:30 p.m.

“Then we got the order to advance. We’d not gone far (our object was a wood about two miles ahead, filled with the enemy, and we have to sweep them out at the point of the bayonet.), when they began to shell us hot and strong and they got our range good. A percussion shrapnel burst on the right of our line, badly wounding Jimmy Duffy. I see by the papers he died from it. Poor Jimmy, he was a good fellow.

“Well, I got wounded by the same shell, a bullet striking me on the right hand side of the head, between the ear and eye, narrowly missing the temple. That put me out of it. I had my orders to retire to the dressing station, about a mile back of the village of St. Julien, so that is the last I saw of the boys, and when I awoke, I was on my way to Boulogne.

“They kept me there for a few days, and shipped me here. To say that I have been a lucky fellow is quite true. They put me under an operation on Saturday morning last and extracted the bullet. It was well-jammed into the skull, and, believe me, it was rather a clever bit of work getting it out. It travelled two or three inches after it struck first in an untoward position. The gash finishes at the top of the ear. It won’t show a great lot when it is healed up.

“They’ve got gold-plated rivets stuck in now. I guess wire was not strong enough. Looks kind of funny in the side of one’s nut. They change them every day. Not a very painful ordeal. How long I shall be here I am unable to say. After this, a convalescent home, then a short furlough and then the depot. Guess I’ll be up for it again. Never mind, spirits up and heads down.

“Perhaps by the time you get this we shall both shall know the fate of our friends in the 91st, for believe me, I made some good ones there. Jack Hamilton wished to be remembered to you several times, but it seemed to slip me when writing. Saw Tim Smart the other day before the mix-up. He was all right then.

“Am sending you a Daily Mail with my photo in it. It’s not badly taken at all. You’re not to laugh at it. It’s the best they or anyone could do. The Daily Sketch were going to publish the X-ray photo of my head, but the colonel wouldn’t allow it. They took two, one from the side and the other from the back.It was a good picture, well-taken. Shall try to get one, and if it’s possible take one off that, will send one on. I’ve got the bullet – some souvenir! Wouldn’t like to lose it now.

“I don’t know that there is much more to say just now. Will let you know if Almond is in a hospital or what became of him. May hear such.

“Please convey my regards to all friends and inquirers and accept some yourselves. I hope this will find you well. Now, on the road to it myself.

“I remain your old and sincere friend.

          “Private C. Heath.”1

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment