Tuesday 27 September 2016

1915-05-06bb


“The date for letters from the front telling of the heroic stand of the Canadians is drawing nigh.”

Hamilton Herald   May 6, 1915.

Beside a column containing the latest casualty list with the names of men who had gone down in the recent battle near Ypres, the Hamilton Herald published a column containing a number of letters written by Hamilton soldiers as they were waiting to go into that very deadly encounter:

“A British mail containing a thousand letters has arrived in the city, and some of them are dated the day the big fight started off with the introduction of the German noxious gas as an instrument of war.”1

1 “Letters Sent on Eve of Battle : Troops from Hamilton Send Interesting News of Life at the Front”

Hamilton Herald.   May 6, 1915.

Many of those letters had been shared for publication in the pages of the Herald:

“AQ letter has arrived from the late Lieutenant D. Brant, the great-great grandson of Chief Brant, who died in the battle. It is optimistic and cheerful”1

An interesting letter, sent to Mrs. (Dr. Renison) from her brother, Lieutenant Everett Bristol, in which he gives an excellent story of the exploits of an English aviator:

“April 27 – Just a few lines this time to let you know I am still above the sod and healthy. I am writing this from the machine gun school near headquarters, somewhere behind the front. There are about forty officers and two or three non-commissioned officers and men taking a special course. The school is situated in a nunnery.

“The cloisters, where before the war the Benedictine sisters were wont to live their lives in quiet piety, are dedicated to the red god of war. In the chapel, where once stood the high altar, are some hundreds of murderous Maxims. The refractory, where under the designs ‘pax curitas,’ in the beautiful old stained glass windows, the gentle nuns were wont to take their frugal meals, is now the officers’ mess. The chapel, which once echoed to the peeling anthem and murmured prayer, now resounds to the husky voice of the lecturer, demonstrating to three hundred apt disciples the various teachings and strategies which will enable them to kill the greatest possible number of Huns.

“I met an old R.M.C. boy the other day. Walnklyn by name. We went over together to the headquarters of the flying squad and I spent a remarkable evening with a new race of men developed by the war. They speak a different language, a vernacular mélange of technical terms having to do with aircraft and aeronautics, plentifully intertarded with dope from Flanders. I heard numerous stories of thrilling experiences which were likely characterized by the auditors as a good, bad or indifferent ‘effort.’ The ideal of the corps just now is a chap, M---, whose exploit was termed quite good.

“Here is the story : ‘When we were standing in a field behind a wood some weeks ago, he brought his machine back twenty miles landing it safely at our feet after being shot through the stomach when over the German lines. When we lifted him, he had fainted. He was very nearly done for, but pulled through after a month’s sick leave and came back.

“He had not been here a week when, flying a machine, he had engine trouble and had to come down within the German lines near L----. He jumped out, set fire to his aeroplane and dashed off in one direction while the Germans came rushing from another. He got away in the smoke and confusion, was sheltered by a habitant, who gave him a suit of peasant clothes. He got into a city and remained there four days, gathering valuable information as to the German disposition there. He also had the pleasure of seeing posters and handbills offering a reward for his capture and threatening ‘frightful things’ if he was not delivered up. He got away in a German uniform which he took from a sentry and walked to a certain neutral country across the frontier. He slipped over the border. In the dead of night, being fired at and slightly wounded.

“Once there he managed to ship as a stoker on a vessel bound for England. He arrived in London a long time after he was given up for dead, with just enough to buy a ticket for Farnborough, headquarters of the Royal Flying corps. He went without his lunch to do so, and he begrimed appearance apparently disgusted and alarmed two old ladies, who lectured him on the evils of drink, all to his delight.

“Of course, he speaks French and a little Flemish, but, notwithstanding, I am inclined to agree with the opinion of the members of his corps that it was an ‘extraordinary damn fine effort.’

“Kitchener sent for him and he has been given the D.S.O., and promoted to the rank of flying commander.”1

Letters from Lieutenant Cameron D. Brant, of the Haldimand Rifles, to his wife were being received after his death had been reported, the last letter follows :

“My Dear Wife – Another fine day – sunshine, birds, singing nature in all her glory. We are still in the same place, in the best billet we have had in France. We expect to make a move any day now. Just where we are going it is very hard to say; but I believe we will have much more work to do than we had before. At any rate, we are going to do our best, and try to keep up the good name we have made for ourselves.

“It is almost eight months since we started on this game, and it does seem much longer. The long, dreary winter on Salisbury plain was the limit. You have no idea how weather improves conditions here. We can do our work far better and in a kore willing spirit on a fine day. In fact, every branch of the service works better.

“We are all in great condition – healthy and fine. How are things in Canada, especially in dear old Hamilton ? I expect to be back there at least by Christmas, providing I am lucky enough to get through safely. If I was to go home now, you would be surprised to see how well I look; never felt better, weigh more, stronger and eat better than ever before.

“I trust you are getting my letters all right, as they have been very frequent of late. Probably before long they will not be so many – be few and far between; but do not lose heart. Do not believe anything serious until I write and tell you or someone else does. Keep up a good and brave heart, girls.

“Tody was payday here. We get paid twice a month. I drew 125 francs today – a franc is equal to 20 cents in Canada.

“Well, sweetheart, this is all I have to write this time; probably will write again tomorrow. Hope you got the cards and Belgian money that I sent you.”

Private Daniel Clay wrote to his wife, with regret, to say that he had been discharged from the military because of health issues. He would be returning to Hamilton. His letter, quoted as follows, was written on the eve of the massive Battle of Langemarck near Ypres:

“Dear wife – Well, how are you getting on over there? It is about ten days since I wrote you last. I was waiting for the medical board to rule. I have been before them again and this time I was discharged. So you see, Lucy, I have to come back before the war is over.

“Lucy, I am very glad to tell you I have been over to France for a couple of days, and I can tell you that things are very lively over there. Our battalion is not in action yet, but they are in the trenches. I went over with some horses, so you see my journey has not been for nothing after all. I tried to get to stay over there, but it was no use. Every man has to be fit that goes to the trenches.

“I might tell you, Lucy, that I am entitled to another medal, also the South African medal that I did not get. It was all a mistake, and if I had gone to the war office I should have received it. The order was that all soldiers who had served in South Africa for eighteen consecutive months were entitled to a king’s and queen’s medal. It is too late to get it now, unless I buy one over here in a pawn shop.

“Well, Lucy, I shall be over there in about two or three weeks’ time. I am suffering from a cold and a cough. I do not think the climate quite suits me, so I do care how soon I am with you again. I shall not be able to let you know when I sail, as I shall only get a moment’s notice.

“Give my respects to all my enquiring friends, and accept my love to you and the children.”1

No comments:

Post a Comment