Saturday 17 September 2016

1915-05-26yy


Hamiltonian Robinson Pirie was employed as a buyer with the city’s Sanford Manufacturing Company. On May 1, 1915, Pirie boarded the RMS Lusitania, on May 7, 1915, that ship was torpedoed by a German submarine.

1,198 people aboard that ship lost their lives when the Lusitania sank, Robinson Pirie was one of the survivors.

On May 26, 1915, the Hamilton Spectator printed a letter written by Robinson Pirie to his wife, in which he vividly described his experiences as he struggled to keep alive:

“I have no doubt but you will have full reports of the Lusitania before this reaches you. It is certain that the circumstances of each individual are different, so that apparently conflicting stories may be true. I was stretched out on a couch in the lounge. The impact was sufficient to make the ship tremble, and the listing so quick that I had to get out by grasping the arms of chairs and tables. The room was full, the most of the inmates thrown down or stumbling to the low side or starboard, getting out. I concluded that the damage was too severe to be overcome, and decided to attempt to go to my room for either belt or anything else, and went through what rooms I could looking for a belt. I finally got one and then made for the port or upper side. The ship righted slightly. There was no definite attempt to lower boats; in fact, I was endeavoring to help when we were stopped by an officer. At this time possibly a couple of dozen men jumped. One boat was lowered which opened up at the prow. Another collapsible was pushed over. It sank as there was no plug in it. Another was lowered, and got away., these boats away aft from me. A sailor near urged the people to get free of ropes – I had just stepped clear, that is, over the taffrail. The ship had taken so decided a list that the side was about the same angle as the tyop deck. The boats, which had been swung out ready to drop, swung back and crushed a number of people, then the ship suddenly dived down, and we were all drawn down with her. I, being a fairly good swimmer, was not afraid but thought that I would never get up, have no idea of how far down we went, but upon finally coming up to the surface, saw two or three small boats and waving arms. I then looked around for something to cling to, got an oar, then a small block of wood, then a plank. This was big enough for me to straddle, so I quietly till I had regained some strength.

“Somehow I had gotten a long way from the small boats, and saw a box with a boy in it, possibly 16 years of age, and commenced to work towards it, when I was bumped into by a man carrying a child. These I gave my board to. Shortly after another young man came along in some wreckage, and we then finally, after perhaps an hour, got to the box. I got one end, and the original boy got the other, the man and child with me at either side. We finally got the child on top. This box would probably be six feet long by two and a half feet square. There were, of course, plenty of dead bodies bumping into us all the time, but no signs of any boats near; but by some lack of judgement or our desire to try to clamber into this box, it started rolling. The boy at the other end and myself kept the others afloat for quite a long time by replacing their arms on the edge, but, becoming exhausted, the man with the child finally slipped away. The other man, who by some means had got a fim grip, went around several times, we always trying to steady the thing with the mouth up, so that we could get the lid opened, and so have more surface on the water, but this man, in taking another turn also disappeared, so that the boy and I were left. Feeling myself getting exhausted, I urged the boy into the box, got the lid opened out flat in the water, then I got him to give me his hand, and so got up onto my stomach across the end, and when I balanced myself, I got refreshed.

“We were up and down several times, although it was calm, it was not so calm as our Burlington bay, and a slight wind would come along sufficiently strong to set our box rolling. Then it was a struggle to get it righted, and the lid opened. However, I was considering it was about finished, also my friend’s eyes said distinctly that a a very little more and I would be in control and you will be gone. When he commenced to shout, he was able to clamber up and got his legs into the box and helped me up onto my stomach several times. However, he kept shouting, and waving his arms; then he called to me to shout, that there was a boat coming our way. I got a renewed sense of strength then, and after considerable time felt myself being thumped and rubbed as apparently I had not quite lasted out. Anyway, as I was able to look around, there were at least eight steamers coming from different directions. Their smoke was all that we could see. I had been pulled into a collapsible by some sailors and passengers. There were possibly about a dozen women and about the same number of men, and I think this was the last boat around. I saw no others. This boat, as most of the ones did which had been floated from the deck as the ship went down,  was got by some of the men, righted and picked up whom they could, but was not half-filled. It required the most of the saved to keep the others alive. Some of the women were being forced all the time, by slapping and rubbing. If they were left for a minute, they seemed to stiffen right out. However, shortly one of the large steamers got alongside and we were transferred. It was mine sweeper, bare and cold. And now, after five o’clock, I had for some time been unable to stop trembling, felt terribly cold. Was helped down into the engine room, then they took off my shoes and socks, coat and vest and trousers and under shirt, hung these up to dry and put me in a hot corner, Very curiously, I was covered by a coat of black tar, my hair, finger nails, ears, eyes and nostrils, even my toe nails; can’t imagine where it came from, unless it was oil and coal which rose to the top of the water, but I have been steadily scrubbing and do not yet feel clean.

“We steamed to Queenstown, where we arrived sometime fter nine. Several died after rescue. These were taken ashore first. I was helped to the gangway, asked my name, and a man assigned me to a hotel. I think I was a little stupid at this time, as I recall the great crowds held back on either side by military and police, and they were cheering and clapping hands, but I really could not make my legs work. When I got to the hotel, I was given brandy, then put to bed between hot blankets; could not sleep, but the hotel people and doctor were exceedingly thoughtful and kind. They took all my clothes away to give them a thorough drying, , offered me food and hot drinks repeatedly all night. Well, in the morning, I was pretty well, slipped into the first shop, got a shirt colllar and cap, had breakfast then tried to find out who were saved.

“I played cards with three of the Eaton’s men whom I knew very well and had crossed with repeatedly. In fact, every day we four played deck quoits, shuffleboard or something; nice fellows, all much younger than myself. But they have not been heard of, so I expect they all are lost.

“Mr. and Mrs. Young I conversed with frequently, have heard or seen nothing of them or of Strauss, of Coppley, Noyes and Randall. In fact, I never remember conversing with so many people whom I know, but there are very few of them saved. I cannot understand how so many were saved, as I believe about one-third of the total have been. I am sure that not more than 25 per cent had belts or had time to get them. I figure that we were struck say ten or fifteen minutes after two, then went down in fifteen or twenty minutes, and I was in the water say two and a quarter to two and a half hours.  I gave my doctor several addresses to write to as soon as I could, say ten o’clock or half past. He sent these messages and I do not know what he said, but I hope it was early enough to save your feelings.

“To satisfy myself about my friends, I went through all the morgues, there were four of them, possibly 150 dead. The police were going through their pockets, looking for identification marks of some kind, and collecting their jewelry. This was all in a little heap on each body.I could see no face whom I knew, but lots of very painful sights. I was still shivering, made up my mind to get right away – took the first train to Dublin. This turned out to be a mistake as the crew of all kinds were placed in this train. We went to Dublin, put aboard a boat for Holyhead, then a train for Liverpool, where we arrived at 6:30 Sunday morning. The station was packed with people, friends of the crew, so that the excitement of looking for their friends and learning of their being missed caused a most painful scene. The crew were largely from Liverpool. Lots of thse poor women, many with babies in their arms, were screaming terribly. I got away to my train at 7:30 after having four cups of good, hot coffee, but I could not face any food.

“Arrived at Huntersfield about 12, and went directly to my friend, Spur. He put me into a steaming bath and kept me there. I then found out that the inside of my legs were very much discolored, all black and blue, a few gouges in the flesh, which had to be bound up. My hands were also a little torn. I am still wearing Spur’s clothing.”1

1 “Battled for Hours Before He Was Saved : Lusitania Survivor Tells of His Experiences”

Hamilton Spectator. May 26, 1915.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment